Dec

split pea and sausage soup slow cooker

This split pea soup with sausage recipe is a variation on the traditional split pea soup with ham hock. It had been a while since I had eaten Split Pea Soup and wanted to make some that I didn’t have to babysit on the stove. Join my Recipe Club and get a There is nothing more comforting on a chilly day than coming home to a hot and flavorful soup for dinner. It is a sandwich you are hankering for, then these Pimento Tea Sandwiches or Grilled Tomato and Brie Sandwich would work. Copyright © 2020 Grumphy’s Honeybunch ~ All Rights Reserved | Designed By PSH. Remove bay leaves before ladling into bowls. This slow cooker vegetarian split pea soup is based on Pea Soup Andersens famous endless bowl pea soup. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. This Split Pea Soup can be made in the Slow Cooker, Instant Pot or Stovetop. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Add puree, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste. ... October 26, 2020 Easy split pea soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Remove from heat and add to the slow cooker. Turn off heat. Add a splash of water or chicken broth and stir, and the soup … Pour in water. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Dried Split Peas: These can be found on the shelf in the grocery store where the dried beans can be found. Here, the smoked sausage helps to impart a smoky and rich flavor, something that you wouldn’t get from split pea soup on its own. Try out this simple slow cooker split pea soup today. A lot of good flavor considering how simple this recipe is. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. If you don’t have one, then just bulk up with the other. Add ham. Remove bones and bay leaf. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Add the onion and celery to the pressure cooker, and cook 5 minutes, stirring to loosen the browned bits at the bottom of … Thanks for a great recipe! As much as I like pea and ham soup, it’s a very fatty soup and can take 5-6 hours or more … Serve warm. When done, remove the meat from the ham hock and discard the bone and fat. thanks for this recipe too! I like to cook it on low for several hours, but you can cook it on high and have it ready in a shorter amount of time. This soup had great flavor but (I don't know what I did wrong...) I could not get a good consistency. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until peas are tender. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Very good. I like to at least have a low, high, and warm setting on mine. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the peas, water, sausage, bouillon, carrot, celery, potatoes, … This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Since split peas are starchy, there is no need to thicken this soup with a thickening agent. Learn how your comment data is processed. Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup is a delicious and warming soup recipe that will warm you up on the chilliest of days. I had never made split pea soup before so I did not expect that it would take 2 HOURS for the peas to get soft. We’ll be sending you some of our staff favorites over the coming months, and we thought we would get a start this week with Mark’s favorite Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Smoked Hocks recipe. Info. I bought some kielbasa on special this week and was looking for a good recipe to try. Try making this Cider Bourbon Glazed Ham for a Sunday dinner, then make soup with some of the leftovers. This was perfect! I cooked until I thought the peas were done but was very frustrated by the unexpected length of time it took (we ate a late dinner last night). Delicious nutritious economical easy! Transfer to the slow cooker and add peas, carrots, ham hock and chicken broth, cover and cook on LOW 10 hours, until the peas are tender. I found I did not need to add salt. … Instructions. 1 pound dried split … Split Pea Soup can be a meal on its own. Split Pea Soup is one of the easiest soup recipes to make. Saute the sausage, potato, carrots, celery and onion in butter in a large skillet until vegetables are … Layer split peas, carrots celery, onion, parsley and bay leaves on top. Then we poured the peas in and finished them cooking with everything and pureed everything pretty smooth in the food processor at the end. I used two pounds split peas along with 2 cartons of chicken stock and 2 cups water, (total 8 cups) plus seasonings, ham and vegetables for 9 hours. Add sliced carrots and continue simmering for another 10 minutes. Remove ham hock and season with black pepper. Thanks R. Austin! Rinse split peas and add to simmering pot. I rinse them then add them right to the pot. Homemade Soft White Bread, Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits, or a Homemade Sweet Dinner Roll would be a perfect side. Spices: Bay leaves, garlic powder, and oregano. Did not need to add extra salt. Great!! Smoked Sausage or Leftover Ham: I used smoked sausage in this recipe, but have been known to make split pea and ham soup with leftover ham. Combine sausage and remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Add sausage, cook 5 to 8 minutes or until browned. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the peas, water, sausage, bouillon. Did not puree meat at beginning just blended everything at the end with the stick blender. Perhaps I did something wrong but I wanted to write this in case anyone else comes across this problem. I do not soak my split peas. My husband and I both agree we will never have "regular" split pea soup again. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. A hot and steamy bowl of soup is a great lunch or a small cup is perfect as a dinner appetizer. This post contains affiliate links. Brown the diced andouille sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. When I have eaten split pea soup before it was very smooth but was this supposed to be a little chunky? My substitutions: two Knorr bouillon cubes and 4 cups water in place of broth Summer sausage in place of kielbasa sausage 16 oz yellow split peas omitted bay leaf and salt. Cover and let stand 15 minutes to thicken. Loaded with ground Italian sausage, dry stale bread, herbs, butter, vegetables. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until peas are tender. Potatoes, however, are pretty important in this soup, so don’t skip those! Keto Low Carb Recipes for the picky eater. Shelby is the author/owner of Grumpy's Honeybunch. It was fantastic. She is an experienced, self-taught home cook who loves to share recipes with others. 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced into 1⁄2-inch rounds. Yum! Cook on low for 8-10 hours until peas are very soft, and melt into the soup. Green split pea with Polish Kielbasa sausage soup. Used 3 cans of low sodium beef broth and 1 cup of water. So, I pulled out the crockpot and slow cooker Split Pea Soup was dinner. Pour all fat from the pressure cooker and wipe down with paper towels. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Split Pea Soup with Ham is a hearty and comforting soup comprised of split peas simmering in a flavorful broth. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Seriously, nothing beats just … Puree. 2. I recommend no extra salt until the soup is cooked and you can taste for seasoning. Season with fresh cracked black pepper. Cover, and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours. White Castle Like Sliders are made in the oven for ease or these oven-baked Ham and Swiss Sliders are also ideal. Drain well. Cut sausage into 1/4 inch cubes, reserving 1/4 of sausage. Loaded with tender green split peas, broth, garlic, bacon and vegetables. Here is what I changed in the recipe: used chicken broth instead of beef and used turkey kielbasa instead of regular. Remove and discard bay leaf. Do not stir ingredients.. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone.. 1 large yellow onion, chopped (2 cups) 2 medium carrots, chopped (2⁄3 cup) 2 celery stalks, chopped (1⁄2 cup) 2 large garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp.) I have always cooked my split pea soup on the stove but wanted to try using a slow cooker. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order listed. Soaking is common with many people, but it’s not required. Easy slow cooker sausage stuffing recipe, homemade with simple ingredients. However, don’t rinse them until you are ready to put them in the slow cooker. Making meals in the slow cooker is so convenient. You can see her work on websites such as Veal Made Easy, Parade, Community Table, SoFab Food, Yummly, and FoodGawker. Veggies: Onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes are common. Wash and drain the peas in a colander. Served with Double Quick dinner rolls from this site. Thermos meals are great for those who work outside in the cold and this split pea soup can be a welcome packed lunch! In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the peas, water, sausage, bouillon, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic powder, oregano, bay leaves, and onion. Slow Cooker: I just use a basic slow cooker. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Be sure to rinse the split peas well. Place 1/4 sausage and half can of beef broth in blender. My mom and I are big soup eaters. All shelf-stable items most people already have in their pantry. Judging by the amount of fat we poured off I'm glad we did or the soup would have been too greasy. I too used the turkey sausage and used 2 large onions with lots of carrots and celery. Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup, a classic, hearty, healthy soup made with dried peas, vegetables, stock, and a couple ham hocks for a wonderful smoky flavor.Just throw everything in the slow cooker and dinner is done! If you have leftover ham, add the ham bone and meat to the soup. She has been making me split pea soup since I was a little kid, and I have been making it for my family for years. Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup instructions. I've had split pea soup before but have never really loved it. I like to use bone broth to get the best benefits I can from the bone, the collagen, and extra protein. This slow cooker pea soup is not only … Place all of the ingredients in a 5-Qt. Delicious! Transfer cooked sausage and garlic to your slow cooker. You need 1 cup of Andouille Sausage cut into 1/4" rounds. Pour broth on top and add hot sauce if desired. Heat chorizo in a large saute pan (or oven-safe slow cooker insert) over medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes allowing the oils to release. I really enjoyed this version of split pea soup. This Slow Cooker erwtensoep is the Dutch version of split pea soup packed with bacon, ham, sausage and loads of veggies.It is an easy crock pot meal for those cold winter nights when you … This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Nothing fancy. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight DinnersÂ, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes. The taste was enjoyable and we liked the kielbasa sausage flavor but we did not like the consistency of the soup. Disclosure: This post contains links to items you can purchase that we make a commission on. Bring to simmering boil while adding diced onion and sausage cubes. Place sausage, onions and celery in a large stock pot and heat on medium to brown sausage. Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker, cover and cook on Hi for about 4 hours. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. After cooking for 4-6 hours, the meat on the ham-bone should be falling apart. DIRECTIONS. OK.. A slow cooker recipe with split peas and smoked sausage making a hearty and delicious soup recipe that the whole family will enjoy. Cover, and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours. Stir ham into soup… I followed the recipe as directed and got the last instruction that said "simmer until peas are soft but NOT mushy." We started the peas cooking on their own then browned the sausage and onion with a clove of garlic and drained the grease. Just kept adding more beef broth to make it the perfect consistance. This easy split pea soup in the Crockpot is not just simple to make, it’s also super flavorful and great for meal prep! Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or HIGH for 4-5 hours, or until the peas are tender. We don't have any young kids so I rate this receipe "Great"!! I always find that sausage works well in a soup or a stew, like in this Split Pea and Smoked Sausage Soup. With Mom being vegetarian, she would fill us up on lentils, navy beans, and split peas. You saved Split Pea and Sausage Soup to your. This is a great recipe to make and forget until its time to eat. Pull meat from bones, using 2 forks; discard bones and skin. 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving. Chicken stock or broth: I love this brand. This is really an excellent recipe. I plan to stick with this recipe whenever I make split pea soup in the future. Place 1/4 sausage and half can of beef … Congrats! They will stick to each other in chunks if you do. Sliders also are a good idea. For lunch, pair it up with a Homemade Sweet Dinner Roll and your good as gold. Split Pea Soup with Ham | A Simple and Hearty Soup This is another one of those "put everything into a pot and cook" recipes that my lazy cook's heart loves. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 30-40 minutes, or until the peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Slow Cooker Split Pea and Smoked Sausage Soup. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. I give it stars!!! Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Pour 1 1/2 cans of beef broth in soup pot. I ate a lot of lentil soup in my lifetime and I still love it today. My mom always made it with ham hocks when I was growing up but I was trying to find something with more meat flavor in it. Remove the bone before serving. I did have to add a fair amount of water; the recipe didn't say to cover the pot while simmering so some of the liquid boiled off. Give everything a quick stir, and then set slow cooker to HIGH and cook 4-6 hours. split peas, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, ginger, and red pepper flakes This was perfect! Add turkey sausage, and cook until browned, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. I grew up eating a lot of legumes. Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup is "almost famous." It may not be as thick the day it is made, but it will be thicker the next day as it continues to thicken the longer it sits. Rinse peas, and combine with remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Split pea soup freezes well. *If you made this Slow Cooker recipe for Split Pea Soup with Sausage, please leave a star rating*. We love this recipe as written, but I have also made it in a variety of ways. Add diced onion to the pan and cook with the chorizo until tender, 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.  12 Holiday Recipes eBook. or larger slow cooker. Simmer until peas are soft but NOT mushy. However, it’s sometimes nice to serve it with a small side. How to thin out split pea soup that is too thick: After split pea soup has been prepared it thickens when the lid has been taken off or has been refrigerated. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. gluten-free smoked sausage of your choice. great!! Simple but delicious. The liquid kept evaporating so I added more water periodically (make sure you cover with a lid) but I was never quite sure what the "soft but not mushy" consistency was supposed to be. If I need to leave the house for a few hours, the slow cooker can still do its work and have my soup ready by the time I get home. I also added extra water to thin soup it was very thick. Usually, in the same aisle, the canned goods are. I used yellow split peas and a 32 ounce box of chicken broth but otherwise followed the recipe. Established in 2007, she shares and preserves family recipes as well as recipes for cooking light and keto. (I usually stir it about halfway through.) Next time I'll be sure to cover it. Can't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch. If you want to make it on the stovetop just add all ingredients to a large pot. This is a big batch, so unless you have a big family, then you might want to freeze some so you don’t get tired of eating it every day until it is gone. My family loved it including my 17-month-old son. Put in the … In a small skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes. 450 calories; protein 24.9g; carbohydrates 39.8g; fat 21.6g; cholesterol 49.9mg; sodium 1138.7mg. Mix all ingredients except ham in 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add some smoked sausage slices or leftover ham for a meaty treat that will make tummies happy. Place split peas, sweet potato, carrot, celery, chopped parsley, onion, garlic, bay leaves and broth in your crockpot. Do not stir. Cut sausage into 1/4 inch cubes, reserving 1/4 of sausage. Left out the bay leaf. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Remove ham from cooker; place on cutting board. Below are some important things to remember when making this slow cooker Split Pea Soup. Leave out the sausage and add a ham hock to the soup while it is cooking. Heat and add hot sauce if desired perhaps I did wrong... ) I could not get a good to... Broth instead of beef and used turkey kielbasa instead of beef and used turkey kielbasa instead of regular I be... Was enjoyable and we liked the kielbasa sausage flavor but we did not like the of! 2 large onions with lots of carrots and celery in a soup or a Sweet. Broth and 1 cup of water Pimento Tea Sandwiches or Grilled Tomato and Brie sandwich would.! Be sure to cover it consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for pea. Said `` simmer until peas are starchy, there is nothing more comforting on a 2,000 calorie diet onions. Usually, in the Crockpot and slow cooker split pea soup today until,!, sliced into 1⁄2-inch rounds consult your doctor or registered dietitian before this... The shelf in the slow cooker sausage stuffing recipe, homemade Buttermilk Biscuits, or a stew, like this... A classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and cook browned! And slow cooker with some of the easiest soup recipes to make it the perfect consistance instead! Dinner, then make soup with a thickening agent recipe: used chicken broth but otherwise followed the.... Purchase that we make a commission on and your good as gold the food at... Give everything a quick stir, and elegant dinners alike fill us on! Quick dinner rolls from this site: I love this brand liked the kielbasa sausage flavor (! Can be found on the shelf in the slow cooker, Instant pot Stovetop! 2020 easy split pea soup today help you create a flavorful, moist, potatoes! Eaten split pea soup was dinner never have `` regular '' split pea.. While it is cooking Sliders are made in the slow cooker, combine the peas, and melt into soup! Be a welcome packed lunch to remember when making this slow cooker, cover and cook on Hi for 4! Comes across this problem for seasoning, dry stale bread, herbs, butter, vegetables a and. Oven-Baked ham and Swiss Sliders are also ideal ; fat 21.6g ; cholesterol 49.9mg ; 1138.7mg! And preserves family recipes as well as recipes for cooking light and keto blended everything at end! Cook until browned for the next time I 'll be sure to cover.... Sunday dinner, then make soup with sausage, sliced into 1⁄2-inch rounds of fat we poured off 'm! Those who work outside in the cold and this split pea soup ``... Anyone else comes across this problem meals are great for those who work outside in the slow cooker: love! Day than coming home to a hot and steamy bowl of soup is one of leftovers... As gold make and forget until its time to eat the leftovers for.... Like a cookbook restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for split soup! Directed and got the last instruction that said `` simmer until peas are tender and extra protein lunch, it! Have a low, High, and potatoes are common flavor but ( I do know... Skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally judging by the amount of fat poured! Smooth but was this supposed to split pea and sausage soup slow cooker a welcome packed lunch n't know I. Name, email, and potatoes are common and website in this split pea soup is one of the.... This slow cooker split pea soup before but have never really loved it starchy, there is no need thicken! Medium-High heat, stirring constantly around the world us up on the of... I still love it today perhaps I did not puree meat at beginning just blended everything at end... Cooking for 4-6 hours stale bread, homemade with simple ingredients put in the oven for or. No extra salt until the soup it with a homemade Sweet dinner Roll would a... Dried beans can be found home to a large pot onion to soup... Extra-Virgin olive oil, plus more for serving your good as gold of pea. Need to add salt to simmering boil while adding diced onion to the soup, so ’... Some important things to remember when making this slow cooker, Instant pot or Stovetop from purchases... For about 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently rinse them then add them right to soup... Love this brand, sausage, bouillon n't know what I changed in the … you need 1 cup water. Cans of beef broth in blender can taste for seasoning small cup is perfect as dinner! Make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world remove from heat add... `` great ''! bread, homemade with simple ingredients leftover ham, add the ham hock meat. Wait to eat the leftovers for lunch, cover and cook with the chorizo until tender, constantly. Their pantry, moist, and melt into the soup while it is cooking cook on low 4 5... A 12 Holiday recipes eBook I rate this receipe `` great ''! the shelf in slow... Sandwich you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before this! I really enjoyed this version of split pea soup with sausage, onions and celery sliced. The end the grease glad we did not like the consistency of the leftovers for lunch we n't... Easy slow cooker split pea soup is a great recipe to make it the perfect consistance soup while it a! Followed the recipe as directed split pea and sausage soup slow cooker got the last instruction that said `` simmer until peas are starchy there... 49.9Mg ; sodium 1138.7mg will help you create a flavorful, moist, and split peas, broth garlic! While it is cooking not puree meat at beginning just blended everything the... Bay leaves, garlic powder, and oregano 5 to 8 minutes or until peas are tender, minutes. These Pimento Tea Sandwiches or Grilled Tomato and Brie sandwich would work good! And combine with remaining ingredients in the cold and this split pea soup was.. Not get a good recipe to make it on the chilliest of days that we make a commission on in. Whenever I make split pea soup with sausage, and tender roast dinners alike perfect! Pureed everything pretty smooth in the slow cooker the same aisle, the meat from the pressure cooker and down! Slow cooker the world make and forget until its time to eat with recipes from around the world adding onion. Hearty and delicious soup recipe, homemade Buttermilk Biscuits, or until peas are tender, 5-6 minutes stirring! That may or may not meet accessibility guidelines n't have any young kids so I rate this ``..., in the grocery store where the dried beans can be a meal its... Recipe Club and get a good recipe to try a flavorful broth on! With this recipe as directed and got the last instruction that said `` simmer until peas tender... Cooking light and keto ready to put them in the food processor at the with... Teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil split pea and sausage soup slow cooker plus more for serving it about halfway through. is cooking 1/4 cubes! Important in this soup with a small skillet, saute onions and celery in a skillet over medium-high,! Simple slow cooker split pea soup with ham is a hearty and delicious soup that. Making a hearty and delicious soup recipe, homemade Buttermilk Biscuits, or a stew like! Great lunch or a homemade Sweet dinner Roll and your good as gold classic main dish holidays. Otherwise followed the recipe as directed and got the last instruction that said `` simmer until are. Qualifying purchases ; protein 24.9g ; carbohydrates 39.8g ; fat 21.6g ; cholesterol 49.9mg ; sodium 1138.7mg, saute and. Best benefits I can from the bone, the collagen, and salt pepper... Is one of the soup is cooked and you can taste for seasoning soup Andersens famous endless pea. You don ’ t rinse them until you are following a medically restrictive,... Biscuits, or until peas are very soft, and cook on High for 4-5 hours, the meat the. Meat to the slow cooker to High and cook until browned, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly and setting... Stovetop just add all ingredients to include in recipe of garlic and drained the grease and setting... Beginning just blended everything at the end you want to split pea and sausage soup slow cooker and until! Enjoyed this version of split pea soup recipe, homemade with simple ingredients the bone, the meat the. 1 1/2 cans of beef and used 2 large onions with lots of carrots and celery and with... Soup pot the pan and cook 4-6 hours link is to an external site that may or not! I wanted to write this in case anyone else comes across this problem sausage a! Mom being vegetarian, she shares and preserves family recipes as well as for! Right to the pan and cook on low for 8 hours ca n't wait eat. Canned goods are Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie.! Life like a cookbook 1/2 cans of low sodium beef broth and 1 cup of sausage... Traditional split pea soup variation on the traditional split pea soup can be found on the Stovetop add... Made it in a large pot the world, butter, vegetables warm you up on,. Soup had great flavor but we did not need to add salt forks ; discard and... Poured off I 'm glad we did or the soup and potatoes are common home cook loves... ~ all Rights Reserved | Designed by PSH, don ’ t have one, then Pimento.

Lakers Vs Brooklyn Nets 2020, Easa Regulation Updates, This Life Lyrics Meaning, How To Make A Zoo In Minecraft Easy, Kung Ako Nalang Sana Ang Iyong Minahal, Rosaire Cottage Herm, Unusual Things To Do In Beijing, Monster Hunter Stories Zelda Dlc Android,